Re: (Fwd) Re: Thurs WSing at 3rd Ave + "Right of Way" discussion

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 04 1995 - 09:57:21 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: Thurs WSing at 3rd Ave + "Right of Way" discussion
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 09:57:21 -0700 (PDT)

'Paul Delzio says:'
> How do we get people to read and follow the "right-of-way" rules for
> ingress and egress from the water? People exiting the water have the
> right-of-way on the ramp and yet I'd wait in line to go in and some
> idiots would, oblivious to us waiting, try to cut in. Then I'd come out
> of the water, after waiting my turn only to have someone cut in, get out
> of the waves only to have another idiot come down the ramp as I'm
> struggling to clear my sail from the waves and say "I'm not going
> backwards". I got a bit indignent and said "the hell if I'm going
> backwards into the waves?" and made her squat down so I could go over her
> and then get dirty looks from the gal waiting to come down. If I wanted
> this sort of rudeness, I'd take up surfing....

Just to clarify a bit more: it seems to me that the situation at the
ramp is more like a stop sign. The guy in the water has right of way
if you are both ready to use the ramp at the same time. But I don't
agree that someone at the top would have to wait for a line of 10
sailors waiting to exit the water. It seems the right of way should
be that the first sailor in the water exits. If there are only a few
sailors waiting to get out, let them out. But there clearly are days
when things get crowded, and where people at the top should be allowed
to intersperse with people getting out.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150