3rd Sunday

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 24 1995 - 01:49:45 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 01:49:45 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, dan_acosta@fmc.com-DeleteThis, gtsai@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Sunday

--------------- Fri 21 Jul 95 - Palo Alto - xxxx

Since the crummy due-westerly wind was continuing, I went down to check
out Palo Alto. It was blowing at least 6.0, but the water was lower
than I expected. I met Jim Kay and we watched someone walk his gear down
the channel 3/4 of the way to the platform before he had enough water to
sail. Somehow, I wasn't much tempted by that - it took him nearly a
half hour. By the time the water was reasonable (5:00), the wind
seemed to be dropping, so I bagged it.

I think that my tide extrapolator is off. It seems that 4 feet
(PA-adjusted) is plenty if it occurs near a high tide, but not
nearly enough if it's near a low tide (this was supposed to be
3.8 ft at 3:20). I think my site-adjustment code needs some work...

=============== Sun 23 Jul 95 - 3rd - 5.2/257 (184 lb)

I spent the morning buying *two* new 9'2"s. One for me and one for my
7-year-old. Okay, they were kayaks. They did a great job of taking my
Gorge Racks from "Gee, why do you need so many boards?" to "Geez, what's
wrong with this guy?".

Kirk and Will and I arranged to meet at 3rd. I got there at 2:05; due
to early wind, the lot was full by 2:15. Kirk and I felt optimistic
so we rigged 5.2/257 for me and 5.6/ChallengeFlex for Kirk (215 lb?).
This was a bit small at first - I was just barely planing and Kirk was
often not planing. But by 3:30 it was better and we were powered
most of the time. It was gusty and holey the whole day, but we felt
we had hit the right rigging call.

The channel swell was pretty small at first, but by 4:00 it built to
3-4', with some very nice, very wide sets that seemed to be marked with
an arrow labeled "jibe here". I obliged and it seemed I could do
(almost) no wrong. Well, okay, I could blow most of my jump landings,
but I made a couple of very smooth nose-first landings - by accident.
There's a fine line between the graceful nose-first landing and the
spectacular nose-first piledriver-crash-and-burn, but I stayed lucky.

Kirk and I came in tired around 4:45, and, as usual, Will was just
arriving. Remember, Will, windsurfing is like comedy: timing is
everything. I went out for another hour or so, but the tide had turned
to flood and the swell had become pretty confused. Also, by 6:00 the
strongest wind was in the 1/4 mile next to the launch. From there to
the channel, it was very light for my equipment, and up and down in the
channel.

'twas nice, 'twas nice.

"Mother, the WEATHER is not a PRETTY THING." --Bill Griffith