General Crissy Questions

From: Karver, Eric (EKarver@CCGATE.SPOT.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 13 1995 - 08:36:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 10:36:31 EST
From: EKarver@CCGATE.SPOT.COM-DeleteThis (Karver, Eric)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: General Crissy Questions

     A couple of nagging questions you all might be able to answer:

     1. This is my first season sailing Crissy (175#, Mistral Energy), and
     I'm curious about the various conditions I'm experiencing each time I
     sail.
     - On a flood, why is the middle channel so flat? And those 100-200
     meters of small chop just adjacent to the flatter water, is this a
     zone of counter currents? How does this affect the wind, if at all?
     - I see that an ebb develops swells and ramps; is this a simple
     function of the wind blowing into an opposing current, therefore
     stacking up the water? Does the wind blow significantly different
     over flatter vs. swell-like conditions?
     - Every time I speak to someone in the parking lot they are rigging
     different sails, boards, and fins based on ebb, flood, high wind, low
     wind, gusty, holey, NW wind, W wind, etc..., should I go out and drop
     another $2-3k (#$%*) on new accessories just to make sure I'm sailing
     the perfect rigging combo, or is this just equipment overkill by a
     subculture of obsessed windsurfing maniacs? What is the general rule
     on rigging selections for different Crissy conditions?

     2. The Energy came with a blade-like fin that worked perfectly on the
     flatter water of C-Stick, yet couldn't withstand much lateral pressure
     on the wavier water at Crissy. I recently put on a 13.75" True Ames
     fin which has made a world of difference in terms of pointing and
     turning more smoothly through my jibes. However, the 13.75" actually
     seems to be slower than the other fin on beam or broad reaches. Also,
     once I am fully planing and in the straps, the fin makes a slight
     sucking sound that I've never experienced before. Any ideas on what is
     happening here?

     3. Finally, the Energy appears to be a fast and responsive board for
     slalom sailing, but the rails are a bit hard and the bottom too flat
     for all out Bay sailing. Any product recommendations for someone who
     is looking for a used Bay board with softer rails and more rocker?

     Thanks,

     Eric