Re: Coastal Questions

From: Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jul 12 1995 - 11:01:52 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:01:52 -0700
From: Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Coastal Questions
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

     Heavy fog, of course, will shut down the coast. If you have COTW, you
     can get the Waddell report. If not, Pigeon Point is similar - several
     times this year it has been absolutely dead north of Pigeon, but
     blowing 25 from Pigeon on down, so Pigeon may not be reliable.

     The Natural Bridges report on Ken's list is pretty much right on for
     sailing NB at Santa Cruz. You can get the current NB conditions at
     http://sapphire.cse.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/Met?2

     The coast turns on and shuts down earlier than the bay - it usually
     starts dying off around 6, though it can blow later. It often turns on
     around noon or 1.

     If the wind is too northerly, it becomes very up and down. If it is
     very West, or a little south of west, Santa Cruz seems to be better.

     I'm sure there are others out there who can give you better info than
     I - let's hear from them.