Re: 3rd Tues

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 12 1995 - 07:32:27 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 07:32:27 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd Tues

OK....My quick report
Sat Coyote Pt 6.2/9'6" @ 2PM Powered to too much board for an hour
Switched to CFlex and was perfect from 3-3:30 and then it shut down and
I slogged in to the swimming area at 4 and went home.
===================
Sunday @ 3rd. Looked light at 2 so rigged 6.2/9'6 again. WAY scary in
the channel so I switched to the CFLex (8'8" sinker) and sailed till
after 4 (company for dinner) powerd to way powered. GREAT FUN. Wind
was enough for my 5.1 wave sail much of the time. Wind died as I
derigged.

> =============== Tue 11 Jul 95 - 3rd - 5.2/257 (184 lb)
 Ken Poulton reports:
> Swell was 3-5 feet, and varied from multi-direction hash (good launching
> ramps) to very wide, smooth swells that just cried out "jibe here". The
>
> We came in about 6:40. As usual, I slogged much of the way
> and Michael managed to plane all the way in. Sigh.
> I saw a bunch of other people there (Kirk, Kris, Eric, Nick) but
> saw none of them on the water.
>
> It was a fantastic day. It looks like similar conditions will hold for
> Wednesday. Go get some!

Conditions much like the good part of Sunday.....
I rigged 5.1/CFlex to the reports of 4.7 wind. Unlike others, I did NOT
want to slog in and back out so I stayed with the 5.1 in the great
channel stuff and worked on light wind finesse. I found going down big
waves to get powered much fun as usual and turning at the bottom to ride
the swell out was a rush to say the least. Unlike other times in the
past with light wind, The conditions were such that I could plane most
of the way across on starboard, but stalled alot on port ramps. I
managed to work myself way upwind and so I had a fairly easy trip back
on a plane except for the last 400 yds or so. It was 5PM and I was
pooped after the under 2 hr session from all the work in light wind, but
had a big smile on my face. Kris was perfect inside on her 4.4/8'6"
glass board and worked on jibes. I need a bigger wave sail....anyone
have a 5.9 Sailworks Revolution they don't need? 8-)

The biggest problem I'm working with on light wind sailing is going to
port in the channel without alot of power where it is difficult to bear
off the big ramps and not stall on landing. I suppose I need to bear
off sooner for more speed?

"....like a struggling spiritualist slipping her card into a passing
  coffin." - Derek Marlowe

kirk out
ASD epoxy: 8'8" RKT, 8'11" CS & 9'6" no-nose CS; Mistral CFlex & Malibu
Wt 218#, Ht. 6'0", Usually sail on SF Bay, Cailf.
(kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)