Re: Cell Phone Wetsuit

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 06 1995 - 11:36:04 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Cell Phone Wetsuit
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 11:36:04 -0700 (PDT)

'LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'
> I found a h2o proof case for flip phones (it may even fit a classic). They
> are in the Herrington Catalogue Summer 95 edition, Item T397, Page 5, $39.95
> (why not an even $40?). Phone 1-800-622-5221, there is a caution "not
> designed to be immersed for extended periods" However they also say that if
> you drop it in the h2o it will float. that sounds like us. you can dial &
> talk through the flexible, clear housing. The sealing system looks similar to
> the REI bags. Check it out

Having rotted out several strobes, I am skeptical of any electronic
equipment that makes a claim to the effect of "water-resistant, but
not for total immersion". Our sport is really rough on equipment, and
the constant soakings and salt-water spray are more than equivalent to
total immersion. Particularly for something like a cell phone, that
was never designed to have any water on it, you need a 100% waterproof
enclosure.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150