Thurs 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 23 1995 - 01:41:57 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 01:41:57 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, dan_acosta@fmc.com-DeleteThis, gtsai@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Thurs 3rd

=============== Thu 22 Jun 95 - 3rd - 5.2/257 (185 lb)

"Boss, boss, de fog, de fog is coming!"

Got to 3rd about 3:30 and from the 3:00 report (18 knots) and from the
look of the water I figured it was 5.7 wind for me. Liking the look of
the fog behind SFO (and feeling optimistic), I rigged 5.2 instead of 6.2
(my next size). When Dan went out at 3:50, his 5.3 had him slogging
out nearly to the channel, but by the time I hit the water at 4:00, I
had juuuust enough to plane from 100 yards off the shore. Out in the
channel, it was still just enough to plane, but it built and around 4:30
it kicked up to very well powered.

The swell was best near the far side of the channel, but was also 3' or
so in the shallow water by the channel marker. Much of the channel
was pretty flat due to the flood. In fact, as the flood kicked in
later in the day, the swell turned from northerly (normal port ramps) to
a bit westerly, presenting starboard ramps. I had some nice jumps on
port, but I'm lucky to get off the water on starboard...

Got off the water about 6:00, and John and Bob Miller had sailed down
from Coyote to their previously-parked "ASD Special Operations" van.
Smiles all around for a very nice day of sailing.

I even scored bonus family points by getting home at 7:00 (as promised,
for once) just in time to unlock the house for Kate (forgot her keys)
and her parents.

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as
simply messing about in boats."
                                        -- Toad, "The Wind in the Willows"