Crissy Report Wed.

From: Justin Gordon (justin@booza.mcm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 22 1995 - 08:29:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 08:29:53 -0700
From: justin@booza.mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Crissy Report Wed.

Crissy picked up around 4pm. I got there about 5:45.
Although it was flooding relatively hard in the center of the bay,
there was plenty of steady wind, with sail sizes from
5.0 to 6.5 and mostly slalom boards. There was the usual
(and annoying) dead spot on the inside out to past
Anita rock. However, the steady wind on the outside
at 7:45pm shut down very abruptly, with virtually no wind
for maybe 900 yards from the beach. Luckily, the coast guard
gave several sailors rides to the beach (even some very well
known expert racers--one of them, when asked for name and address
from the coast guard, responded with fictitious name "BILL SMITH").

As for myself, I managed to sail very delicately to the beach.
Last year, this would have been a certain swim/rescue for me.
In addition to luck and determination, I made it back for the
thanks to the following:
-my floaty Sputnik 285 (115 L)
-a very lightweight Sailworks 6.0 Bravo, and
-some essential training from ABK (with special thanks to instructors
Andy Brandt and Paul Imperato). When you go to a clinic, you often
end up sailing at times with no wind. The balance that you learn
in no wind could one day be the difference between swimming
to the beach and sailing to the beach.
-Also, learning to tack a slalom board in light winds does wonders
for learning balance and how to stay up when the wind dies.

Justin

Justin Gordon
email: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis
phone: 415.267.1287