Re: Wave Board

From: David Stuart (dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 20 1995 - 00:31:50 PDT

Date: 20 Jun 1995 15:31:50 U
From: "David Stuart" <dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Wave Board
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

        Reply to: RE>Wave Board

From: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
>>>I would like to get some waveboard help..and a waveboard. (with sensitivity
toward cost)

Wave sailing can require less equipment investment than those bay sailors with
specialized race equip quivers containing matching sets race sails, masts for
every sail, booms for every sail, a fin for every sail, and a unique board for
each complete high tech race rig. And most of these guys just sail for fun
(the fun of spending money I think). The <perceived> technology found in wave
gear won't expire as quickly as race gear.
So the point here is that wave sailing can cost less and offer tremendous
sailing experience on a per dollar of investment basis.

  Except for two important considerations (budget based, since you made that
point a couple of times):

1'st,...Picking the right wave equipment can offer a broader range of sailing
days with the minimum investment in equipment. Go to the site(s) you believe
you will spend alot of time at. Pay attention to the choices made my sailors
of your size that are sailing with the kind of skill you would like to have.
<Be reasonable on skill>. Get their advice before buying board(s) and fin(s).
 Fins are very important also.

2'nd,...Beware of conditions. Your careful attention to budget in a
potentially more economical form of windsurfing can be eaten in a single
afternoon. Most days will treat you as friendly as it looks from the beach.
But sometimes, conditions change fast and decide to accept your offer of
equipment as an afternoon snack. And I have seen sailors refuse to be beaten,
and return to their quiver locker on wheels and rig up an entirely new snack
for mother nature. These days might be avoided with some careful attention
to weather/wave reports, and local sailor advice. Don't allow
emotion/adrenaline to carry you off into a no return situation.

Happy waves!

PS-Another option would be to save yourself now, and enroll in a twelve step
program to eliminate windsurfing from your life! <NOT!!!>

Clever Quip: "I once knew a man who complained because he had no wave board,
              until one day he met a man <from the mid-west> who had no waves"