Re: 3rd Av Sunday?

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 19 1995 - 11:46:25 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: 3rd Av Sunday?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:46:25 -0700 (PDT)

'Pierre St. Hilaire says:'
> The Windsight report was pretty pessimistic, so I went hiking instead,

Where did you hike?

> but
> it looks like there was wind after all. True?

I went to Crissy for an orienteering event (which I managed to miss
because I was so late). By 4:00pm it was solid 5.0 on the beach, with
no clouds or fog visible at the Gate or off-shore. I was really
tempted to go sailing, but I didn't have a sailing partner, and Crissy was
going to ebb at 5:30pm, so I passed. Ah, still pissed about this
today....

I ended up taking a hike to Fort Ord and then through some
of the surrounding areas. I never realized it, but the break at
the point at Fort Ord is treacherous. Out of nowhere big swell will
come in and break very steeply, for quite some distance out from
the point. It would be easy to get misled into thinking you were
in a safe water-starting zone and get bushwacked by an incoming set.

On the way back I stopped and Coyote, and it was pretty solid there as
well. Surprisingly few people were in the water at 7:00pm.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis