Re: Coast Report -Tu and Wed -Reply

From: Ben Cristi (BENJAMIN_CRISTI@Novell.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 09 1995 - 07:44:44 PDT

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 1995 08:44:44 -0600
From: Ben Cristi <BENJAMIN_CRISTI@Novell.COM-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject:  Re: Coast Report -Tu and Wed -Reply

Yeah, look at the Monterey buoy reading (#42), but it's not very accurate.
It's just an average reading. Generally, the longer the period, the bigger
the waves for a given swell size. There are many other factors including
swell direction, multiple swells from different directions, the tide, etc.

I've seen readings of 8ft 17sec, 12ft 14sec, produce over mast high sets
while a 14ft 12sec reading produced barely mast high sets. Other days
I've seen 6ft 9sec readings produce logo high sets while 8ft 9sec
readings produce only head high sets.

If you want high accuracy plus a good forecast, for here as well as baja
and HI, call 976-SURF. I call them if I'm going to baja, and here in the
summer if I'm worried it's going to be flat. It's rarely flat in the spring.

Ben

Ben

>>> <Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis> 06/08/95 11:19am >>>
     Does anyone know how to predict the wave heights at Davenport
and/or
     Waddell from information on Ken's wind reports?