3rd Monday

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 06 1995 - 00:47:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 00:47:36 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, alison@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, dan_acosta@fmc.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, gtsai@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Monday

=============== Mon 5 Jun 95 - 3rd - 4.2,3.7/257 (185 lb)

Got to 3rd at 3:00 and Jay had been there since noon. He had
just come in and said 4.4 was just right. I rigged 4.2/257 and
hit the water around 3:30. As is common on big days at 3rd, the
chop was *very* confused inside. Combined with lots of power,
it was pretty punishing inside. I followed Jay's suggestion
and headed for the channel.

    The chop is getting bigger and steeper and more and more confused.
    The water is very brown, almost yellow with the mud churned up into
    it. The wind grows stronger. I have to sheet out to maintain control
    - have to hang on - dodge that wave - recover from spinout - almost
    there...

    And then... I'm in the channel. In a moment, I'm sheeted in,
    perfectly balanced, gliding effortlessly over a vast expanse of deep
    green silk. Occasional sets of swells came through - I jump or jibe
    on them at will. Now I'm soaring into the air for minutes at a
    time, looping and swirling

    Cut! Uh, can we check the script here? Someone got a little
    carried away.

Anyway, it was very nice in the channel.

I came in around 4:40 and rigged down to 3.7. I also changed fins,
but was soon reminded why I no longer used that fin - it is not really
big enough for the board unless I'm way powered, and the wind had
actually backed off a bit. When I came back in to swap fins back, I
stripped out the threads in the good fin. Oh well, it was time to pack
it in anyway.

When I left at 6:30, it had picked back up - Jerome (220 lb??) said
the 3.5 he borrowed was right for him.

                       ---WIND----
TIME LOC T DP DIR AV GUST VIS PRES SKY CRYPTIC COMMENTS
 pdt F F deg -knots- mi inHg heights/100ft
1251 SFO 62 44 300 25 30 35 30.15 clr
1351 SFO 62 44 300 27 33 35 30.16 clr
1450 SFO 62 44 290 29 . 30 30.15 clr
1550 SFO 61 43 290 31 37 30 30.14 25 sct
1650 SFO 60 43 290 27 39 20 30.12 clr
1750 SFO 59 43 290 29 33 20 30.11 clr
1851 SFO 57 47 290 31 38 15 30.11 clr

The big blow is predicted to go on again tomorrow, maybe even
into Wednesday. Go get some!

"There's nothing wrong with you that can't be cured with Prozac and
a polo mallet." -- Woody Allen, Manhattan Murder Mystery