coast report and board demos

From: Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Jun 05 1995 - 08:34:59 PDT

From: Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk%opus.hpl.hp.com@sjf-dhub.sjf.novell.com-DeleteThis
Date: 05 Jun 95 08:34:59 PDT
Subject: coast report and board demos

6/4 Sun Davenport: Windsurf Warehouse let me take 2 demo boards to
Davenport. I guess it depends on which salesperson you get, because
the one I talked to over the phone said no. No names, I want to be able to
do this in the future. My current boards are assymetricals so keep that in
mind when reading my impressions.

Seatrend ATV 8'6", volume 80 something liters, weight?, Ian Boyd wave
fin. Test conditions: powered up on a 4.7, nice small waves. The ATV is
looser, faster, quicker to plane, in short, it did everything better than my
assymetricals. It even slogged better (it was more stable). Slashing the
lip right at the critical section never felt better.

Cons: footstraps were set too far apart for me . Also, I never felt
"dialed in" on the board, except when actually riding a wave.

BIC Saxo 253, 8'3", 66 liters, board weight ?, single bic wave fin. This
board can be setup as a twin fin, and footstrap positions are adjustable.
It has two rear footstraps, so I removed one and left the other offset.
Unfortunately the wind backed off when I tested this board, I got it to
plane maybe 3 times. It's very stable when slogging. When I was able to
get it to plane, it felt very loose, and was easy to jibe. I didn't catch any
waves on this board but my guess is that it would be at least as good as
the ATV, probably better due to it's tuneability (adjustable footstrap
position and fin setups).

Cons: It doesn't plane as easily as the ATV (whaddya expect at 66 liters)

I plan to demo more boards soon. I liked the BIC better than the ATV, but I
want to buy something with a little more volume, to handle those light air
days, since I just picked up a used 5.3 Zeta. Peter Schiebel was on a
new Randy French 8'6" custom. He really liked it, I'm gonna call Randy
and find out the differences between this and an ATV.

Ben
(140 lbs)