Re: Lost windsurfer in SFBay?

From: Chris Kogelnik (kogelnik@gomer.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 01 1995 - 09:38:15 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 09:38:15 -0700
From: kogelnik@gomer.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis (Chris Kogelnik)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Lost windsurfer in SFBay?

The Coast Guard was doing its job...

----- forwarded from rec.windsurfing

Article: 31039 of rec.windsurfing
From: mcfadden@via.net-DeleteThis (Jim Mcfadden)
Newsgroups: rec.windsurfing,rec.boats
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 1995 09:20:06 -0700

Hi there!

It was me! I started out at SF airport and ended up at Oakland Airport at
1:30 am. I was in the water 13 hours. I will be posting the story
later. It was a lesson that all can learn from, I know I did.

I had 3 flares that no one saw, a 8 hour light that no one saw and a loud
whistle that no one heard. In short I lost my rig and stayed with my
board. That and a good wetsuit, plus the knowledge that I got myself into
it and I was damn well going to get myself out of it. I just took my
time, stayed calm, and did 30 strokes then rested over and over again.

I found out that a series of little things can creep up and get you. So
go with the flow, forget being afraid and have a plan to rescue
yourself.

I have been doing this for 10 years and have had two other small self
rescues. However, nothing like this. Truthfully, all I could think about
was how my wife (& kids) was dealing with my being missing and no way to
communicate. Actually, holding on to the board was a constant thought as
well. The surge was always reminding me of that.

Thanks for your interest and safe sailing. I will be out again this week
end with a renewed respect for the power of Mother Nature and a new fanny
pack with survival items. :-{)

----- end forwarded article