Re: Lost Windsurfer in SF Bay?

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 01 1995 - 00:07:16 PDT

From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Lost Windsurfer in SF Bay?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 1995 00:07:16 -0700

> > This weekend I was anchored in the San Francisco Bay about 1nm
> > northeast of the San Mateo bridge (in 30kt winds) on a sailboat.
> > At about 2am on Monday, I was approched by a Coast Guard cutter
> > wanting to know if we'd see a lost windsurfer. They had at least
> > one search boat and one helicopter out looking. Being off the
> > lee shore in fairly shallow water, we were getting the sh*t
> > kicked out of us with waves breaking over the bow. I can't
> > imagine what it would be like to be out there floating around.
> > When the wind died down alittle, we pulled up the hook and left the
> > area with our eyes peeled, but didn't see any signs of him.
> >

> I was at 3rd on Sunday, and as I was packing up around 7pm. The coast
> guard arrived around that time and there were also some people with
> binoculars looking downwind towards the bridge.

I was there too. Rich (the Coast Guard Auxiliary with the black
Cadillac) arrived with his wife after someone called the CG and
promptly disappeared (not nice). They stranded sailor had broken his
universal, but eventually he managed to tie the mast base to the foot
of the universal using the downhaul line. He made it back on his own,
and since he fit the description of the lost sailor (pink helmet) the
CG eventually assumed it was him. They must have been searching for
someone else, unless they screwed up royally. ---Luigi