Broken Mast!! No problem :)

From: LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu May 18 1995 - 12:54:57 PDT

Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 15:54:57 -0400
From: LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Broken Mast!!  No problem :)

Howdy,
Wednesday evening while sailing in the channel I came across a gentleman down
in the h2o with a broken mast. He wasn't sure what to do. I stopped &
suggested taking the broken top part of the mast off, turning it upside down
& putting it in the broken bottom half & re-rigging on the broken mast. (this
has been a hypothetical fix for me untill now, don't tell anyone!) After some
struggle to get the broken top half out of the sail we did infact re-rig and
the gentleman (no I don't know his name) managed to sail in on an ugly but
sailable rig. (he even managed to use his harness and save his arms.)We had a
few people stop & see if we were OK, thanks to Eric, Randy, & Bob for their
help. He arrived back at the launch ramp after sailing for @45 minutes, we
had drifted @ 1/2 way to coyote pt. The morals of this story are:
1)do NOT panic!! it wastes energy
2) know what to do if your gear breaks or you see someone broken down
3) if you don't have a clew what to do and you are the first there, hang out
till someone else comes by who can help, being broken & alone is much worse
than broke & with company. When someone comes who can help, you may be able
to sail in for line, tools, a new base or a beer whichever is appropriate.
4) stop if you see a group of people in the h2o, you may be of assistance and
if not at least the moral support helps.
5) watch out for your fellow sailors, even if you don't know them, they may
be saving you the next time.
That's about it, aquafraternally B)
oh yeah one other thing, keep firm hold of all the parts, mast extensions,
broken mast peices, etc, most do not float.
:D