Re: speaking of tides, what about 3d?

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 10 1995 - 17:40:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 17:40:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: speaking of tides, what about 3d?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

On Wed, 10 May 1995, Jeff Hodges wrote:

> I'm thinking of sailing 3d friday, and noticed that the tide data for today
> is...
>
> SF low tide 95/5/10-02:40 1.2 ft SM low tide 95/5/10-04:05 1.3 ft
> SF high tide 95/5/10-08:40 4.1 ft SM high tide 95/5/10-09:40 5.3 ft
> SF low tide 95/5/10-14:20 0.9 ft SM low tide 95/5/10-15:50 0.8 ft
> SF high tide 95/5/10-21:10 5.4 ft SM high tide 95/5/10-22:00 7.2 ft
>
> so, questions...
>
> 1. is SM tide roughly 3d ave?

I think so, that's why Ken puts it on the mailing list. I think I heard
Ken say previously (someone straighten me out on this), that 1.5 feet is
minimum sailable from the new launch site. The old site was much worse.

> 2. tides are roughly 1 hr later per day, so it looks like low tide at 3d fri
> will be about 1800. What all does one need to be concerned about there if
> you're on the water at that time and is it wise to do so?

Does hitting a sandbar next to the channel on a full-out plane mean
anything to you? You'll do what my friend calls the "Grand Tour."
Launched in the harness and being swung clear around the mast. The fact
that there's only 6" of water adds to the excitement. Also does
wonderous things to your fin, and may do irreparable damage to your finbox.

If it's dead low tide, sometimes you have to wade through hip-high mud to
get to where it's deep enough to waterstart, even a quarter mile out.
Makes for a exhausting and messy workout. The last time I sailed at 3rd
on dead low tide, I laid flat on my back (in the mud) to waterstart and only
applied any weight to the board once it got planing. It was a nuclear
day, though, and getting up on a plane was no problem.

> thanks,
>
> Jeff

Small craft advisory for tomorrow. Anybody sailing?

-shrEd
Ed Scott
shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis