3rd Thurs

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 05 1995 - 02:22:58 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 02:22:58 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, alison@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, dan_acosta@fmc.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, gtsai@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Thurs

=========== Thu 5 May 95 - 3rd - 6.2/9'0,4.7/257 (187 lb)

I was ready to go for some major wind at 2:00, but the report was weak
and westerly. At 3:00, it got to 17 knots; I waffled and then decided I
was desperate enough. I was going to Coyote, but diverted to 3rd to
avoid a traffic jam on 101.

At 3rd, the wind was very holey. I rigged 6.2/9'0 to avoid slogging.
By the time I was rigged at 4:30, the wind was rising. I took two runs
and found that slogging was not much of a risk any longer; I decided to
rig down to 5.2/257. When I was about halfway rigged, a guy came in and
said it was blowing 4.0 in the channel. Still feeling cautious about
the huge holes, I switched to 4.7 instead.

I was way powered. 4.2 probably would have been a better choice, but
3.7 would have worked. The swell inside followed a pattern I have seen
before on a flood near high tide: it was small near shore and built to
4 foot sets with a short spacing near the channel. As soon as you went
into the channel, there was flat water, with longer-wavelength swells up
to 3 feet further out. These built to about 5 feet later in the day.

I experienced the usual equipment failure - my arms wore out. I quit at
6:45 (plenty of wind stil going) and made it to meet Kate at the theatre
at 7:59. I'm gonna have a great sore-all-over feeling tomorrow.

"Windsurfing is so addictive because it's like sex: you don't know when
you will get it, and then you don't know how good it will be."
                                        -- Randy Johnson