beginning windsurfing lessons anyone? (seriously :)

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 04 1995 - 11:20:00 PDT

Subject: beginning windsurfing lessons anyone? (seriously :)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Prescott Lee <plee@notable.com-DeleteThis>, Lori Rhodes <lori_rhodes@bdis.com-DeleteThis>, John Goldsworthy <goldsw_j@compass-da.com-DeleteThis>, Jane Parkman <jip@chrm.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 04 May 95 11:20:00 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

I'm organizing a group beginning lesson at Spinnker for 13,14-May (a week from
this weekend) through my ski club (and running club). We'll get 10% off with
4-9 folks, 20% off with >= 10. I had thought I'd be able to get 10 folks to go
from the clubs, but it doesn't look like it -- hence the late notice.

So, if any of you folks who have friends/family who have been innarested in
getting started, this could be a good way. Looks like I have 5 folks at this
point, will be a fun group. No, I'm not instructing, but I'll be there, and
hope/plan to sail fer reel on the bay afterwards. Detailed poop sheet below.
Please have anyone who may be innarested get ahold of me.

Comes to mind that organizing such group things could be a good thing for the
Peninsula chapter to do to help bring folks into the sport. Also, having the
Windcraft swap the weekend after is neat for those who really decide to pursue
it after the into lessons.

Jeff
w 415-723-2452
h 510-796-6605

Windsurfing Lessons - 13 & 14 May (sat & sun)

I'm organizing this group beginner windsurfing lessons at Spinnaker Sailing at
Shoreline Park in Mtn View. They are a great way to get introduced to this
exciting and challenging sport. They are 900a-100p both days and include all
necessary rental gear (boards, wetsuits, etc; except shoes/booties). We will
get a 20% discount off of the usual $120/person fee if we have a group of 10 or
more (we get 10% off for a group of 4-9). These are the lessons I took to
start off windsurfing two years ago -- they worked well and were quite fun! I
now boardsail regularly on the Bay and in the Delta (near Rio Vista).

We are planning to charge $100 if we can get a group of 10 or more ($110 if
4..9 folks). We'll use the extra $4.00/person to get some drinks and munchies
to have during the class and after. I'll be coming to the classes & hanging
out. I'm not the instructor. A couple of beginning-intermediate folks will also
come and I'll be working with them some on basics.

You will need to bring rubber-soled booties or tennis shoes along that you
don't mind getting immersed. Or those that are bound & determined to take up
the sport might want to go ahead and buy booties there at Spinnaker (that's
what I did). They run from $25-50 and the less expensive ones are perfectly
fine general beach booties, and so can be used for other things.

There hopefully will be good winds on the bay after the lessons so I plan to go
to Coyote Pt. or Third Ave in Foster City to boardsail the bay those
afternoons. Any and all who're interested in seeing what actual high-wind
shortboard sailing is like (i.e. the pot of gold at the end of the learning
curve) will be welcome to come along and check it out. I'll be available to
help out with mentoring & instruction for those who wish to continue to pursue
the sport after these initial lessons.

Feel free to pass this info on to others.

Call...

Jeff Hodges (w 415-723-2452 h 510-796-6605) for more info. I'm doing this in
assoc. with the Snowdrifters Ski Club, but its also a pa-runclub activity and
open to all comers. To officially sign up, please call me and then mail a
check for $100 made out to Snowdrifters to...

Jeff Hodges - windsurfing lessons
8348 Persimmonn Pl
Newark CA 94560

Please let me know as soon as you can if you are going to do it so I can let
Spinnaker have an idea about how many folks we're going to have. I need to give
them a count by the end of April -- they need the info to schedule instructors
and such. Thanks,

See ya out there,

Jeff