Re: Maytag hints

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 25 1995 - 12:57:55 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 12:57:55 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Maytag hints

> From: Bill.Lide@ncal.kaiperm.org-DeleteThis
> >>lots of good input from Ben but one of the most important: keep your mast
> >>pointed out to sea...NEVER towards the beach..unless you wnat to SNAP IT...
>
> I've had the experience of snapping a mast in small Atlantic surf when a wave
> broke on the sail while I was holding the clew, out to sea. The mast did not
> dig into the sand. It seems that a breaking wave stresses the mast more
> when the clew is outward than when the clew is floating free and pointing
> toward shore.

I think Ben originally made the comment that he holds the boom while
lying on the sail, or something like that. It's been my experience that
it is not a good idea to hold your rig by the boom (which would include
the clew). When holding the rig by the boom, the wave will pull on
either end of the mast, and it will point load at the boom connection.
Holding the mast tip, or like Ben said, hold the mast while lying on
top of the sail, _and_ keep the mast perpendicular to the wave, tip
pointing out to sea.

Just another .02 worth.

~Jim