Re: Wed at Davenport

From: Andrew Davidson (andy@sabretooth-174.Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 24 1995 - 10:32:57 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 10:32:57 -0700
From: andy@sabretooth-174.Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Andrew Davidson)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Wed at Davenport

Will Estes writes:

> In the classic "washing machine" scenario you have lost your rig, and
> you are swimming between sets. You get pounded toward shore by the
> next breaking wave that hits you, then you get pulled out to sea as
> the shorebreak pulls back out. Supposedly it is next to impossible to
> swim against this.

The last time this happened to me, the only way I got in, was to body
surf. It took me a couple of waves before I was able to get into water
shallow enough to avoid being sucked back out. before going out, it is
really important to figure out where/how you are going to get back
in. ie what is the current like, where are the rips, sand bars, reefs,
... I was really glad I had a life jacket on.

as a side note, a while ago a posted about the idea of using a leash
when wind surfing. As a conventional surfer, I have never ever gotten
caught in the washing machine like this. Also, I have never felt the
need to wear a life jacket. I think this is because your board is
alway easy to recover. also, it is easy to get through the impact zone
back to the beach with a surf board. (ie you are floating much higher
in the water, this makes it easier to body/boogie/surf in)

you ever notice, that while you are trapped in the impact zone, your
board and rig are being seriously worked on the beach :-(