Re: Wed at Davenport

From: steve shugart (steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 24 1995 - 08:58:21 PDT

From: steve shugart <steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Wed at Davenport
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 8:58:21 PDT
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

> 'Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis says:'
> > Yup. Watched a logo high wave break 20 feet away from me. Managed
> > to stay up for a while as the wall of white water engulfed me. Then
> > came the wash-rinse-get a breath of air-wash-rinse-get a breath of air
> > routine. Got dragged over submerged rocks. Not fun. Finally got pounded
> > by the shorebreak. (Wash, no rinse cycle, just sand rammed down my
> > neck and ankles inside my wetsuit).
>
> I keep hearing about this washing machine effect. What's the supposed
> strategy to get out of this?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Will Estes Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis
> U.S. Computer Saratoga, CA 95070

Recently I was in Maui and watching the late afternoon ~ 5:00 pm sailing
Hookipa in about 18 knots or less. It amazed me how these guys could sail
in the Logo high waves with so little wind and lots of rocks and vana
so close. Their ability to make it out through the sets is a combination
of 1) No Fear! 2) Sponsored Equipment supplier 3) In Shape and 4) Practice,
Practice, Practice ...................

My experience is that I just get too tired too fast to waterstart in a sea
of foam and then be able to pump it up enough to get over the break. Especially
since I usually hold onto the tip of my mast when the waves are breaking over
me. I've never broken a mast yet (lucky or too conservative)

To help my ability, I joined the health club last fall and am lifting weights.

Steve Shugart
HP -Roseville

steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis