Re: Nuclear 3rd...

From: Pierre St. Hilaire (pierre@interval.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 21 1995 - 15:52:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 15:52:50 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: pierre@interval.com-DeleteThis (Pierre St. Hilaire)
Subject: Re: Nuclear 3rd...

>Bethaney works on the normal thermal generated winds, but I guess these winds
>are from the passing front. I'm no meteorolo... uh, weather person, but are
>front driven winds more gusty and holey than the thermal generated winds?

Actually what we saw yesterday (and Tuesday, and last Thursday :) was a
combination of post-frontal and thermal winds. The thermal difference
between the valley south of San Jose and the ocean establishes a NW
oriented pressure gradient in the bay with the wind funneling down the San
Bruno gap. If you add a post frontal wind on top of this gradient you get
a killer day because the pressure gradient vector and the post frontal wind
vector are almost parallel. This is why the wind peaked in the late
afternoon (maximum thermal effect) although there was wind in the morning
(pure post frontal wind).

This situation is the opposite of New England, where the SW prefrontal
winds usually generate the best winds on Cape Cod, since the thermal
pressure gradients are oriented on a SW axis due to the topography. In New
England postfrontal NW clearing winds only give decent wind in the spring
and fall.

                                        Pierre St Hilaire
                                        Interval Research Corp.