Re[2]: Nuclear 3rd...

From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Apr 21 1995 - 13:25:29 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 12:25:29 PST
From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re[2]: Nuclear 3rd...

> From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
> Another nuclear day at 3rd on Thursday. COTW clocked a 31 knots

BTW, that's an average of 31 (actually, I think COTW is mph, not knots). Some
of the gusts were over 40!

     Thanks for correcting me. BTW I asked the golf course architect
     whether it was at all practical to play golf in 40 mph winds. He said
     this would certainly "affect the ball" but that the course is designed
     with the wind in mind and that the holes are pretty short anyway
     (125yds average). My take is that some of these guys are gonna beat
     yardage records. Maybe they should have put a green at the old launch
     with the cove as an obstacle...

     The developers also brought up an engineering study claiming that the
     nets did not create any wind shadow except for a few feet behind the
     nets (some of which will be as high as 110 feet). In some way, it
     makes sense, because if these nets were an obstacle to wind, they
     would get slammed down in no time. Bottom line, if these nets take our
     wind away, our wind will quickly take care of these nets...

     sld