3rd Tues

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 19 1995 - 11:10:28 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 11:10:28 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Tues

============ Tue 18 Apr 95 - 3rd - 5.2,4.2,3.7/257

I went to 3rd, hoping to finally sail something smaller than my 6.2 this
season. I succeeded.

I started out on 5.2/Tiga257. This sounded about right from reports
of people who had already been out. It was plenty. I hit the water
at 3:40 and was immediately well powered. I bashed my way out to the
channel and the water went from 3-4 foot swell to nearly flat in the
channel. After 30 minutes, I decided I would be a lot more comfortable
on something smaller, so I rigged down to 4.2. Even while I was rigging,
I heard people going into their 3's. After a half hour on the 4.2, I
decided I was still overpowered and rigged 3.7. Ah, control at last.
I only occasionally had to slog after a jibe and/or waterstart on it,
and had lots of very powered time.

Swell in the channel steadily built to about 5 feet late in the day (~5:30).
There were lots of nicely formed sets. My arms were too tired for much
jumping - I mostly dodged the steeper faces. But it was nice to get
a nukin' day here in the Bay, and even nicer to have had the courage
to rig down far enough to enjoy it.

"I was going a hundred and fifty miles an hour sideways and 500 feet
straight down. I was looking out for the cops. I *knew* what I was doing
wasn't, you know, legal." -- Arlo Guthrie, "The Pickle Song"