Re: Race Sails

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 13 1995 - 21:08:29 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 21:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Race Sails
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Another downside, imho, is the larger luff sleeve on some race sails, if
your waterstarts are weak, is that they fill up with water making it very
difficult to clear your sail. This is especially true in the bigger
sizes. As Stephen said, the heavier weight, again especially in the
larger sizes, makes it difficult to jibe. I think Windwings probably
have the smallest luff sleeve of most, but I'm not terribly familiar with
all manufacturers' products.

Nuclear day, eh? 4.0 on my 8'6" at 3rd. Powered to way
overpowered. According to CoTW, Coyote was averaging 27 with gusts to 37.

-shrEd
Ed Scott
shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis