Re: BA Satellite Photo On WWW?

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 03 1995 - 15:24:03 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: BA Satellite Photo On WWW?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:24:03 -0700 (PDT)

'Jack Greenbaum says:'
> One place that these shots are available is
> ftp://explorer.arc.nasa.gov/pub/Weather.

Right, I know all this already. I'm just making the point that having
the image viewable directly in WWW would be a snap, as opposed to
having to grab the file by ftp, put up a viewer, etc. I never could
get Ken's automatic download script to work on our SunOS system, and
is it really worth 8 hours of my time to debug awk expressions...eh,
I'll pass. Not that you don't write lovely awk, Ken, really! :)

> Even more useful, in my opinion, than the satellite photos is the North
> Pacific surface presure charts at
> http://www.pacrain.com/~gldcstwx/chrtaccs.html (the most recent one is
> always http://www.pacrain.com/~gldcstwx/noddsgifs/npp/day0.gif and is
> plugged into my web page). I followed the development of the Eastern
> Pacific High (our wind idol) all last week, and was able to plan my
> weekend accordingly.

Thanks for this lead!

> It would be nice if one could judge the morning fog cover from the
> satellite photos, but GOES-7 isn't detailed enough (or in the right
> position, it's over the mid-pacific right now), so until the image
> problems from GOES-8 get straightend out I don't think it's possible,
> and even then at 4km per pixel it's pretty rough.

True. The polar orbitar pictures have more resolution, but we only get a
relevant one once every 8 hours or so.

Actually, the fog cover by itself doesn't tell you much. Rmemeber its
the low pressure in the valley that sucks the fog in. That's what
causes the wind. It's just that in many cases where the valley is
sucking the strongest, the fog tends to get sucked in. So you can use
the fog as a visual clue to pressure differentials. But there are also
days when there is fog on the coast and no low pressure inland, and on days
like that the fog tells you nothing at all about the wind.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis