Re: Safety kits and VHF radios

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Mar 06 1995 - 19:45:03 PST

From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re:  Safety kits and VHF radios
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 95 19:45:03 PST
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

I figure if I get one and use it AND get back safely.....then
I'd pay the fine. 8-)

I guess it would be a good topic for the SFBA to discuss with
the COast Guard....Legal, cost effective radio communications
that are reliable for emergency use.

I have a buddy that paraglides and he has a small radio
tranceiver that he carries and uses to communicate with those he
flys with and can use to call for help. A waterproof one of
these would allow us to talk to each other while sailing.
My buddy says he can use several frequencies without a special
license and a license and exam allow him to use many more
frequencies along with using a repeater to make phone calls...
Might be worth looking into...

> I understand that if you want to be legal with a VHF radio,
> you have to buy a 10 year operators license for $100. What
> are planing to do about the license? What have others done?
> Schuh
 "As long as war is looked upon as wicked, it will always have its
  fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be
  popular." - Oscar Wilde
Kirk out