Peninsula Windsurfers Association Meeting Minutes

From: Prescott Lee (plee@notable.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Mar 01 1995 - 13:37:38 PST

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 13:37:38 -0800
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_afternoon@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Multiple recipients of list <wind_thresh@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Multiple recipients of list <wind_24@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
From: plee@notable.com-DeleteThis (Prescott Lee)
Subject: Peninsula Windsurfers Association Meeting Minutes

Peninsula Chapter, S.F. Boardsailing Association
Minutes for Thursday, January 26th
by Prescott Lee & Lori Rhodes

Social Commentary
-----------------
We had a great time eating dinner and socializing while watching videos of
last year's windsurfing adventures. It was fun to finally learn everyone's
name and what they look like in street clothes instead of by the boards and
sails they use. People are already talking about group vacation plans.
Peter, Prescott, Gordon, Bob, and Bruce should be back from Margarita by
now.

Attendance
----------
46 people attended the meeting, including John from ASD and Chris from
Windsurf Warehouse.

SFBA Issues
-----------
It was agreed that it made sense to merge with the existing Peninsula
chapter of the SFBA. The SFBA has spent considerable effort in this area
(especially Randy Anderson) and has a long list of impressive
accomplishments. In addition, the SFBA already has non-profit status, a
bank account, a newsletter, and a "war chest" fund set up for legal issues.
By becoming "one" with SFBA, we gain these benefits as well as the clout of
a larger organization. Bill Lennan and Peter Liu will meet with Randy
Anderson and the SFBA directors to determine what's required to get the
ball rolling. One issue was how to charge membership dues that would
satisfy SFBA dues as well as the needs of our chapter of the SFBA.

Safety Issues
-------------
The legal ramifications involved with having a rescue craft have put a
considerable damper on the idea of getting a pro bono jet ski from
Kawasaki. According to the Coast Guard, several people would be required to
go through on-the-water CPR training. In addition, the jet ski and a
trained rescuer would need to be at Coyote everyday. Since no one really
wanted to give up their windsurfing to become a full-time rescuer and since
we had no way to make sure the jet ski was always on site, we killed the
idea of having a formal jet ski rescue program. Plus, the liability and
cost of insurance would be overwhelming. The informal route is still a
possibility, utilizing the legal liability indemnification provided by the
Good Samaritan law.

Several other good suggestions were offered such as:
* Having a longboard at ASD and at 3rd Ave. that could be used to
  tow the person in need.
* A marine band radio could for requesting assistance from other
  craft in the area. John said we can keep the radio at ASD.
The members of the safety committee will meet prior to the next meeting.

Slide Show
----------
Doug Acton, a professional local photographer, has volunteered to do a
slide show for us in March. Doug has some incredible windsurfing photos as
well as some surfing photos of the biggest rideable surf in N. America.
Lori is looking into when and where we can set something up.

Upcoming Events
---------------
 --------------------------------------
| 3rd Meeting of the Peninsula Chapter |
| Thursday March 23, 1995 |
| |
| Business Meeting 6:30pm |
| Dinner 7:30pm |