Re: Watertight Pouch for Cell Phone?

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jan 30 1995 - 14:55:48 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 14:55:48 -0800
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Watertight Pouch for Cell Phone?

> From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> I have used roll-over pouches and they are NOT suitable for windsurfing-
> style immersion. They leak. What does work is the SeaSafe from
> Basic Designs. These come in two sizes, and have kept my safety gear
> dry for over a year. They are available at West Marine.
>
> But this only solves the long-term problem. You also need to ensure that
> the phone remains working when you take it out of the SeaSafe. Figure
> that you're in 2-8 foot swell, occasionally breaking, with 15-30 knots
> of wind. You need a phone that (a) can be turned up very loud to be
> heard over the wind, and (b) has to be either water-resistant and
> kept in a bag you can talk through or completely immersion-safe. Even
> my "waterproof" marine VHF radio is not immersion-safe. I use a bag
> designed for VHF handhelds (also at West) and operate it through the
> bag.
>
> If someone knows of marine "waterproof" cellular hendhelds, please post.

Icom makes a water proof compact handheld maring VHF which is
completely immersion-safe (ie, no bag). I think it's the model IC-15
which is about $450 (pricey, but no bag to talk through) at West
Marine. The advantage of VHF is that you can call the Coast Guard
directly (ch 16) with no cellular charges. I met a windsurfer in Baja,
who lives/sails out of Bolinas. He and his buddy sail with the Icom
radios all the time, without a problem (he had a custom holster made
for his harness). He said they easily got 10-15 mile range with these
radios. You might have read about his buddy in the paper, he was the
windsurfer who broke down off Stinson Bch last summer, and called the
Coast Guard directly.

~Jim
Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466