Re: Sunday at Pillar Pt.

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jan 23 1995 - 10:18:13 PST

Subject: Re: Sunday at Pillar Pt.
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: pater.cheryl@gene.com-DeleteThis, Liz Chapman <bl.liz@rlg.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>, chase@goliath.stanford.edu-DeleteThis, tomb@peer.com-DeleteThis, Mom <mahodge@ctp.org-DeleteThis>, Marcia Hutchinson <hutch@corp.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 10:18:13 -0800
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

I went out to Pillar Pt. sunday and basically had the timing wrong. Got there
at about 1015. Could see folks powered-up in the harbor from as we approached
on 1. It was howling reasonably and folks 15-30lb heavier than me were out on
mid-4's, so I rigged my 4.2 race. It was sorta dropping as I got on the board
and I just tried to slog out up wind. Was ok in the gusts, but slogging
otherwise. Noticed that most everyone was heading back in, so I turned around
after a reach out past the fishing boat pier toward the point (I'd parked by
the yacht club). I made it mostly on/near plane back almost to the inner harbor
breakwater, turned & crashed & couldn't get up again. Was so close to shore
that I just swam it in after two attempts at uphauling (am way out of
practice). Walked it back and wind was starting to come up again about the time
I got there. Folks who'd hit the early session right-on were leaving. Some
folks started going back out on mid-to-upper 4's, but it seemed pretty
gusty/holey to me still, so I rigged my 5.3. Went out at about noon and got
past the pier again when it died off for about 10min. stood around in the
shallows with a few other folks pissing & moaning. Then it came back & I went
out & got in some fun runs until it really started picking up (at about 1250p).
I braved it for a couple more runs (9' board & largish fin) until I basically
couldn't keep the board on the water anymore. Sailed it back, a struggle, and
crashed in the middle of the two reaches a few times. Stood around on shore for
a while trying to decide between my 4.2 and 3.7 (folks who had it timed right
with sail size (3's) and such were out having a great time), plus I was pretty
sore, hungry, and cold. I checked in with my friend Cheryl who'd come along for
the entertainment (and was a great help rigging in that hurricane) and she said
"nope, now's when you'll start making mistakes". So we packed it in. Some of
the morning folks (e.g. RJ and Linda) were coming back from getting chow and
were going back out again. Anyway, we went off and got some good solid chow at
Ketch (catch?) Joanne's. Wind had died way off by the time we were done at
2:50p.

Overall I'm glad I went out. Certainly had some fun and got a workout. Morals
learned are to get out there earlier on days like that, and also to not de-rig
if possible (equipment availability wise), just keep rigging as I go along cuz
might have to go back to given sail size (and I need a smaller, newer board,
but that's another story).

Jeff

ps: dunno exactly what the air temp was, but seemd to be mid-fifties. It wasn't
bad temp-wise overall.