Re: Mark Foo drowns

From: steve shugart (steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jan 04 1995 - 17:33:58 PST

From: steve shugart <steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Mark Foo drowns
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 17:33:58 PST
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

> Since I windsurf and surf I will post the following here because I have yet
> to see any posting
>
> December 23 1994 Legandary Big Wave Surfer Mark Foo drowns while surfing
> 30 foot surf at Maveriks in Half Moon Bay California. Mark Foo and 4 other Big
> Wave experts flew over from Oahu to Surf the large waves at Mavericks for a
> film.
>
> Eye witnesses report Foo dropped into a 30 foot wave, wiped out and never came
> up. His body was recovered 2 miles south of the Surf spot w/ Foo still
> attatched to the baord. A large gash on his head indicated he was either hit
> by his board or bounced off the bottom.
>
> Mark Foo was one of the most experienced Big wave surfers in the world and
> built a reputation as being safe, calculated and in top physical shape.
>
> News of Marks death spread rapidly thru the surfing and windsurfing
> communities of California and Hawaii and was covered by the National News.
>
> I posted this as a reminder to all surfers and windsurfers that no matter how
> good you are, no matter how often you sail or surf in certain conditions
> Mother Nature ultimatly claims the greatest respect.
>
> BK
> Santa Cruz, California

     For many years I have worn a helmut, sometimes when the waves are small
I don't. The reason I wear a helmut is because one day I got launched off
my board and when I turned upwind to find it, it was flying towards me and
hit me in the forehead. Luckily, I was not knocked out as I was sailing
away from the crowd. I did have a broken nose, which cost about $4K
to have fixed and about 10 Stitches in my forward.

    When I heard of Mark's death, not being a surfer. I was wondering if there
are any reasons why a person would not want to wear a helmut in large surf? In
Windsurfing there is a lot more chance of hitting your gear or it hitting you.

Steve,
Roseville, Calif