Re: Re[3]: Tide Data

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Dec 14 1994 - 11:51:03 PST

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 11:51:03 -0800
From: jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis (Jack Greenbaum)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Re[3]: Tide Data
Reply-To: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis date:wed, 14 Dec 1994 11:44:42 -0800 Errors-To: listserv_err@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Reply-To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Originator: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Sender: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Precedence: bulk From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis> X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0c -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas X-Comment:  Windsurfing Discussion Mailing List

> What I would really like to know is a RULE OF THUMB which would allow
> me to figure out the percentage of full current as a function of time
> (relative to high/low tides).

   It's site dependent. For the GG, the lag from high/low tide to slack
   water is about two hours! For 3rd Ave, it's about an hour. I would
   guess at Alviso (end of the Bay) it's zero. It so happens that
   slack water occurs at about the same time at these three sites, but
   that's more of a special case; it won't hold going up to Rio.

I have a government published table of tide differences for the Bay
calculated relative to the GG. I believe that I could get the current
differences as well from my source (author of the Tides program). This
table lists different values for Coyote Point and San Mateo Bridge West
(3rd Ave). I'd be happy to type some of it in. I also have the tables
for the Sherman Island area.

> so we're renaming this list to
> "circuit-analogies-for-macro-hydrodymanics_talk_among-sailing-starved-ingunear-geeks"
> or somesuch?

   Gotta do *something* to keep the mailing-list system from getting
   flabby...

Beats the flaming going on on rec.windsurfing. At least I don't need a
kill file here!

Jack Greenbaum | Ricoh California Research Center
jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
(415) 496-5711 voice | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002
(415) 854-8740 fax |