Re: A Modest Proposal (Bay Area WWW Site)

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Dec 06 1994 - 10:47:13 PST

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal (Bay Area WWW Site)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 10:47:13 -0800 (PST)

'Edward W. Scott says:'
> I'd like your input on this. As if I haven't got enough to do,
> with a new baby on the way, work, and everything else, I've recently
> discovered the WWW. I pulled the HTML and HTTP documentation off the
> net, and was considering doing a comprehensive online guide to sailing
> sites in the Bay Area accessible via WWW. I've noticed that there is a
> Windsurfing server based at Stanford (the URL escapes me for the
> moment, it's Yahoo something), but it's basically Kirk's FAQ in HTML form.

It's a fantastic idea, but let's do a little thinking up front and
create some conventions that would allow *other* people to do most of the
work in creating the whole facility. For example, at the highest
level of the WWW tree, you would have a Bay Area map and some general
buttons that would point to some information that you maintain.

Each sailing site would be labeled, and be a "hot spot" for a more
detailed page on that site. Each sailing site page would then contain a graphic
map of the site, some information on the site, etc. Create some naming conventions
and standards for what goes on each page. This way you can develop some templates,
and other people can supply you with updates for each part.

By making it a component-based system, we leverage off of the expertise and
time of everyone on the net, and we could quickly build a very comprehensive
map to the entire Bay.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis