Re: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 29 1994 - 07:56:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 07:56:53 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

KenP writes:
> Simply mount it indoors, looking through a window, or mount it on
> a roof or the ground inside a box which is separately attached to
> the roof or ground.

Or have it portable and give it to a regular at Coyote like Peter or
Maureen who'd enjoy the publicity. Have them take readings at 2,3,4 &5
PM and cellphone them in.

> On the laser issue, I think the previous discussion missed the point
> that the laser hsa to be defocused slightly to make aiming easy anyway.
> It doesn't have to spread out very far (a matter of a few inches) to
> reduce a common 5 mW laser to safe power densities.

Even more to the point....we're busy with eye-safety at HP with the IR
wireless program I'm working on..... is that the power LEAVING (exiting
for you tech types) the box has to be safe enough for a kid to walk up
and poke his head in to take a look. VERY TOUGH limits for this....
Ken is right, defocus it a bit and it will be safe for people out in the
bay, but you have to be careful with the power leaving the box.

"Hey Maureen....what does this do?....AHHHH, I see red spots!!!!"

> Ken Poulton
> poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

"Committees have become so important nowadays that subcommittees have
to be appointed to do the work." - Laurence J. Peter

"To kill time, a committee meeting is the perfect weapon."
   - Laurence J. Peter

Kirk out
| Kirk Lindstrom - OCD Product R & D | Hewlett-Packard Co. M/S: 91UA |
| Engineer/Scientist, Hardware | |
|------------------------------------| Optical Communication Division |
| kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis | |
| Kirk Lindstrom / HP0100/UX | 370 W. Trimble Rd. |
| ph 408 435 6404 | fax 408 435 6286 | San Jose, CA 95131-1096 |