Re: 3rd ave sensor design

From: Michael Schuh (schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 28 1994 - 22:03:16 PDT

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 22:03:16 -0700
From: schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  3rd ave sensor design
Cc: schuler@aerometrics.com-DeleteThis (Carlos Alejandro Schuler)

I asked my friend, Carlos Schuler, about the buoy idea and pointed out that
the buoy may move around due to the tides. He suggested scanning the area
where the buoy could be possibly located and using all valid data that is found.

Schuh

> > One aspect that hasn't been discussed is how to mount the
> > telescope/laser/ whatever with enough stability so that it stays
> > focused on the spinner even in high gusty winds.
>
> Simply mount it indoors, looking through a window, or mount it on
> a roof or the ground inside a box which is separately attached to
> the roof or ground.
>
> On the laser issue, I think the previous discussion missed the point
> that the laser has to be defocused slightly to make aiming easy anyway.
> It doesn't have to spread out very far (a matter of a few inches) to
> reduce a common 5 mW laser to safe power densities.
>
> Ken Poulton
> poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
>
> "The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a
> soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an
> idea."

========
Michael J. Schuh, MS 227-6 | schuh@ra-iris.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis
NASA Ames Research Center | Phone: (415) 604-1460
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 | FAX: (415) 604-4357