Palo Alto Report

From: Chris Kogelnik (kogelnik@gomer.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 26 1994 - 12:10:40 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 12:10:40 -0700
From: kogelnik@gomer.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis (Chris Kogelnik)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Palo Alto Report

Sailed from the dock at the end of Embarcadero Road on Saturday. At first I
was skeptical of even going out; the wind reports were not good for the
Penisula, and I had never sailed at Palo Alto before. In fact the only time
other I visited the site it was at low tide, and the stench from the exposed
mud, not to mention a 15ft wide channel that needed to be negotiated left a
lasting impression of the place as a non-windsurfing bird santuary. But a
friend called and said the PA Airport was reporting 15 knots (I wish I had
Justin's Crissy info then) and that was enough enticement after not sailing
for a week.

I was pleasantly surprised. At high tide, it can be an enjoyable place.
There is an abundance of wildlife and marshland abounds. Sailed a 6.6 from
4 to 6 and planed the entire time, except for the last run in. I sailed
across the Bay to the salt piles a few times. The launch can be difficult
to spot when returning, especially with the sun relecting off the water.
Look for the 2 pairs of larger power line towers, and thread the needle.
There wasn't much chop, and no swell, so it was a nice break from the pounding
of 3rd, and a chance to work on stance and smoothness. Statistics for Ken:
8/10 pivot jibes, 12 egrets, sting-ray fu and Windsurfing Achievement Award
nomination to Bob Prevett for attempted dock landing. Check it out!

Chris

Is there any way to tell if Crissy is blowing or going to blow, other than
showing up or calling City Front (or Justin)?