3rd Ave Sailing Site (History)

From: kjw@merkle.baaqmd.gov-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Sep 20 1994 - 12:29:41 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 11:29:41 pst
From: kjw@merkle.baaqmd.gov-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Ave Sailing Site (History)

     The Third Ave sailing site exists because enough concerned windsurfers
     provided a barrage of written comments when Foster City was seeking to
     improve its levee system. If FC did not increase the levee height by
     some 12" to 18" around the entire perimeter, FEMA was planning to
     downgrade Foster City's flood designation and cause flood insurance
     rates to increase for all of Foster City.

     Because any project around the bay's shores must get a permit from BCDC
     (Bay Conservation Development Commission), Foster City was seeking a
     permit for the levee improvement project. Randy Anderson's attempts to
     have the City provide access ramps to the bay were futile. While most
     of you were probably offended by Sue Lee or Rick Navaro's comments,
     they pretty well represent the City's position. Not necessarily their
     own. The City did not have the additional funds and didn't want to
     deal with the windsurfing access issue at all. They were also
     concerned about the attractive nuisance aspect and the possibly of
     lawsuits. As part of any permit, BCDC must find (required by law) that
     the project must provide "the maximum public access feasible."

     When the permit application went before the BCDC for public comment
     and approval, Randy & I spoke on behalf of the windsurfing community.
     I likened the addition of levee riprap to putting up a six foot
     cyclone fence around a soccer field. Yeah we could use it, but it
     wouldn't be easy. Another 3 or 4 windsurfers gave well received
     testimony. Approximately 250 letters & faxes were also received by
     the commission. They were impressed by the level of interest and
     somewhat dumbfounded by the City's lack of cooperation. Yet they did
     not want to hold up a necessary project. Some board members expressed
     concern of spending much needed public funds on windsurfing at a time
     when police & fire departments were being cut. If the vote had been
     taken then, it might have been close. The appointed board member from
     the delta invited us to sail the delta if we were unwelcome by Foster
     City. Then Supervisor Anna Eschoo (Now in Congress) took the Foster
     City Public Works Director aside & told him to work with us.

     After much negotiation between FC & the SFBA and FC & BCDC, the City
     was issued a conditional permit, conditioned on provisions for the
     windsurfing access you now see out there. Randy & Joel Bartlett
     fought hard to get what we now complain about. It was questionable
     whether a parking lot was a necessary mitigation for the levee
     improvements. But what the heck, we kinda had them over a barrel.
     Why not go whole hog.

     Randy's & my fear was that the City would get the conditional permit,
     improve the levee, and then reneg on the windsurfing access. That was
     more like their past M.O. BCDC is virtually powerless as an
     Enforcement Agency. The SFBA with the help of an attorney (doing pro
     bono work) have been unsuccessful at getting Flying Tigers reopened
     after it was closed off during the Gulf War. But much to my surprise
     Foster City provided all the access improvements. Randy has been
     pushing the issue of the launch ramp configuration with both BCDC and
     Foster City. BCDC representatives have said they will continue to
     pressure FC to finish the ramp. But generally, as far as BCDC is
     concerned, Foster City has meet their permit commitment.

     The Randy has got the Director of the Parks & Rec Department to agendize a
     windsurfing presentation for the City Council for early Nov. Randy will be
     holding another parking access meeting in the near future to plan for our
     presentation. He feels it is critical to present an organized positive
     image for our sport. Stay tuned.

     A FEW PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS:

     If scrutinized, the existing parking lot may not meet the strictest
     requirements for emergency vehicle access. Foster City is very much by
     the book. So maybe we should be careful or we may loose an additional
     5-10 spaces due to No Parking (emergency vehicle turn around).

     The golf course proposal may be another opportunity, similar to the
     levee improvement project, to get additional improvements to the
     parking area (moving the fences out & paving). I would suggest a 0$
     improvement cost as someone else suggested. While Randy indicates it
     is near impossible to get Coastal Conservancy Grants especially
     without Foster City's cooperation, still I think it is worth looking
     into it. One of the BCDC board members suggested we should have
     looked into it before asking FC to make all these improvements as part
     of their project. At least it would be nice to remove this rebuttal
     for the future.

     Lastly, we (the SFBA) need people to pitch in. Everybody's got ideas,
     but only a few are willing to put in the time & effort to make a
     difference. I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to Randy Anderson for all
     the work he has done. He has made a difference to this sport.