Friday at Coyote

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 02 1994 - 20:25:00 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Friday at Coyote
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 20:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

Just got back from Coyote today. It was truly evil, running from the low
20s to 35 mph+. Unfortunately I was on a 5.2, but from the feel of things
a tightly downhauled 4.7 or loose 4.2 and small board would have been a blast.
I'm 170 lbs., and the 5.2 was absolutely miserable, completely overpowered from
the word go.

The wind was completely irregular, gusting and then letting off with a period
of less than five seconds...on, off, on, off, all within 10 seconds, and so on
all afternoon. Even though there was a flood, there was three foot swell on the
inside, and the strong winds were collapsing the tops of the waves, creating
cylindrical ramps that gave you no choice but to launch. It was some of the
toughest sailing I think I have ever experienced (made worse by my inappropriate
sail selection). Once, I catapulted so strongly that it made me feel like my
insides were coming out. My harness came off, and my fanny pack actually cracked
at the buckle just from the force of hitting the water! On the beach, DanF
admitted defeat (he's 230 lbs, and his 5.5 was too much sail). Going up
and down the beach most of the conversations started out with phrases like
"Man, I got whipped!" Yes, it was just slightly windy today at Coyote....

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis