Re: Should I buy an old board?

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 26 1994 - 08:28:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 08:28:10 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: bo3b@rahul.net-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Should I buy an old board?

> I'm looking for some board opinions, on a first time short board.

Dangerous asking for opinions....8-)

> The first question is if you believe the 'classic boards' article in
> WindSurfing or not? Using that as a guide, I'm curious about the
> Screamer or the Electric Rock. For $500, it looks like I can get
> last years models of either a used Screamer, or a brand new
> e-rock. Anybody have opinions on which is a better purchase?

The e-rock is short and fat. Good for lake sailing at your size
but WAY TOO BIG for powered Bay sailing....I know, people use
them. The Screamer is probably one of the best boards to learn
to jibe on next to an ASD glass board. 9'2" is almost a
transition board for your weight so I'd go for a 9' ASD glass
Bay Slalom board.

> Are they both old designs and not worthwhile?

they work and are proven. My experience with the E-Rock is it
is good for LEARNING to windsurf (high wind for us big guys and
light wind for you lighter guys) but it is TOO BIG for its size
once you've learned. I'd think the Screamer would be more fun
since it's proportions are more typical.

> My real goal is to find some beat up board for about $250
> that I can use to up my skills to where I can have a solid
> opinion. If anybody has a used Screamer for $250, I'd do that.
> Since the designs are 5 years old anyway, I don't care if the
> board is a couple of years old.

get a used 9' Glass board.

> Does this seem reasonable, or am I lacking short board
> knowledge?

good questions

> I weigh 155, and will use the board in the bay at coyote, and
> probably some flat water sailing too, until I get those darn jibes.
> I'm intermediate, and can waterstart no problem.
>
> Thanks for comments and experience,
> bo3b johnson
> (bo3b@rahul.net-DeleteThis)
 kirk out
ASD epoxy: 8'8" RKT, 8'11" CS & 9'6" no-nose CS; Mistral CFlex & Malibu
Wt 213#, Ht. 6'0", Usually sail on SF Bay, Cailf.
(kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)