Re: Sunday - Crissy Field

From: Gregg Holtmeier (gregg.holtmeier@quickmail.llnl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 23 1994 - 01:33:31 PDT

Date: 23 Aug 1994 16:33:31 U
From: "Gregg Holtmeier" <gregg.holtmeier@quickmail.llnl.gov-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sunday - Crissy Field
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

         Regarding: RE>>Sunday - Crissy Field

>What kind of Boom and how old was it? Was there any catastrophic >impacts
prior to the failure?

The boom I broke was a 2 year old windsurfing Hawaii. I wasn't jumping when
I broke it but was fully powered, sailing slightly downwind and probably had
most of all 195 pounds of me hanging off the boom.

It was getting loose at the head so I took it apart and inspected it about a
month ago. I used some shims to tighten it up a bit. I was shopping around
for a new boom but didn't make the commitment to purchase one soon enough. I
realized it would be much safer to have a new boom for bay or wave sailing.
My plan was to buy a new boom and reserve the WH one as a spare for lake
sailing where a broken boom is not as critical since it is easy to swim in on
a lake. I usually sail Bethany reservoir about 3 times a week during the
weekdays due to its close proximity to my work at Livermore. I generally sail
the delta or the bay on the weekends.

>I have a couple of Chinook booms which I've been very satisfied with, but
>one of them is getting into it's second season (about 100 - 120 days on >the
water). The front end is a little bit looser than it used to be, and I'm
>trying to determine if it's time to retire this piece of equipment.

I bought me a new Chinook gorge boom at City Front which said they sell over
30 chinook booms a month. I hope I heard him right because this sure seems
like a lot of booms. If your booms are getting loose at the head, it may be
time to replace them if you do a lot of sailing at places that are hard to
self rescue from. I sold 2 north booms at the Rio swap in May because the
heads were getting loose and I didn't want to take a chance with them.

 A note on Bethany reservoir: Bethany is not my favorite location due to its
very short reach, but the wind can crank there. It is situated right near the
Altmont Pass in the middle of one of the largest wind farms in the world. It
is usually flat water sailing with some 1-2 feet chop at one end, 3 feet on a
real big day. It has the same sailing season and wind range as the bay and
delta area. The main difference is the time the wind blows. It generally
doesn't start blowing there until after 5pm and continues throughout the
night. I have sailed on full moon nights until 1130 pm. The late wind is nice
for those after work sessions on those long summer days.

Gregg Holtmeier.