San Carlos report

From: Robert Novak (robertn@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 21 1994 - 15:49:26 PDT

From: "Robert Novak" <robertn@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 15:49:26 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: San Carlos report

--- Forwarded mail from Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis (Benjamin Cristi)

To: robertn
Cc: bcristi@ca.SJF.Novell.COM-DeleteThis

Hi Rob,
I saw your posting on your self rescue at 3rd ave, but I didn't
realize you were the Rob I knew through Scott Kimura. Anyway, I'm
glad your alright, and thanks for posting your story, it's made
me more cautious, in that I no longer wear my thin wetsuit when
sailing at the coast.

By the way, could you do me a favor and post the following trip
report to wind_talk. I promised this to some of the guys on the
list, but I'm unable to post to the list due to mail problems.

Have a fun gorge trip,
Ben

Here's my Baja trip report. I tried to post this back in May,
but was unable to.

I was in Baja from april 16-30. Here's a report on the windsurfing
portion of the trip.

I spent 8 days at Punta San Carlos. It's roughly 270 miles south of
the border, and the last 40 miles are on a dirt road. From San Jose,
figure on 9-10 hours to reach the border, and another 9-10 hours to
San Carlos.

It blew 4 out of the 8 days I was there. 4.0 to 5.0 conditions,
shoulder to over head high waves. It was great those 4 days that blew.
The wind is side-off shore, and long rides (6+ bottom turns on a head
high day) were common.

The waves at the point are the best, they're bigger and more rideable.
Beginning wave sailors will probably want to sail upwind of the pt.
Theres a nice beach to launch from, and the waves are smaller and much
gentler. Even the pt break was gentle, compared to a similar size wave
at Waddell.

I estimate there were about 40 sailors when I was there. The nearest
town is over 2 hours away, so bring everything you need. The dirt road
was re-graded earlier this year, it took 1hour and 50min to cover the
40 miles of dirt. I recommend a hi-clearance vehicle, theres a couple
of rough spots, although I saw a station wagon, and a couple of
mini-vans there.

I'm definitely going back there. It's a great spot for beginning to
advanced wave sailing.

Ben

--- End of forwarded mail from Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis (Benjamin Cristi)

--
-- Robert Novak 415-390-2603
-- Silicon Graphics 2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. Mountain View, CA  94043-1389 ms 924