Re: Crissy response...1

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 13 1994 - 13:47:34 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Crissy response...1
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 13:47:34 -0700 (PDT)

'JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'
> The SF Fire Department reported that their rescue jet skis had made more
> rescues between April and June 1994 than they made in all of 1993! The Coast
> Guard has also reported with frustration that there have been situations of
> reported emergencies but then no follow-up even though the individual got in
> safely without assistance. This results in the very unfortunate situation
> where the Coast Guard boats must continue their search until nightfall,
> wasting time and limited resources. There has also been a situation where an
> injured windsurfer was rescued by a private boat but his equipment was left
> on the bay. Neither the windsurfer nor the rescue boat reported to 911 that
> the windsurfing equipment was left on the bay, and when another boat saw the
> equipment without its owner they reported this to the Coast Guard. The Coast
> Guard had to search through the evening to be sure the individual was not
> still on the bay needing rescue.

Is there a way that a bulletin board dedicated to rescues-in-progress could
be implemented, along with some sort of protocol to help coordinate efforts
of the agencies involved? Such a bulletin board might have a series of
steps that any rescue goes through, like:

Start Time: Time that windsurfer in trouble is first reported to someone on
shore

Windsurfer Identification: What is the situation, and any information that
might serve as identification.

the Coast Guard's assistance, that could be stated.

Coast Guard Notified: The time at which the Coast Guard is called to begin
a resuce could be noted.

End Time: The time when the windsurfer has been rescued.

Coast Guard Notified: The time at which the Coast Guard/Fire Department is
notified that a rescue has taken place.

Now these are just thoughts off-the-top, but the key point I am getting at
is that if you had a system like this in place, and a handful of regulars
were trained in the protocol, then when someone got rescued and people saw
on the bulletin board that the Coast Guard had not been notified, then this
would act as a signal that they need to be called. You might have the
opposite problem of too many people calling them to notify them, but I'm
sure they would much rather have that problem than having to conduct a
night-long search without notification that the person was already
rescued. It would ony work if the regulars were trained and bought into
it.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis