Crissy ...3

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jul 13 1994 - 11:33:06 PDT

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "JefWNDHNTR" <JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 14:33:06 EDT
Subject: Crissy ...3

The Safety/Rescue Bulletin Boards have also been approved by the National
Park Service. These bulletin boards would be modeled after the bulletin
boards found in the Gorge which provide very clear instructions and diagrams
on safety procedures and dangers presented when sailing at Crissy Field.

 The SFBA has also recently completed its safety guide brochure which
discusses general safety protocol when calling for an emergency rescue, and
discusses specific safety guidelines for the various sailing sites throughout
the Bay Area. This brochure is enclosed with this newsletter, and will also
be distributed widely at the beach and in the shops.

 The comprehensive plan would also include involving all local windsurfing
shops in the effort to promote safety. The SFBA proposes to have all shops
provide safety information to anyone renting or purchasing windsurfing
equipment. Before the shops will rent or demo any equipment, they would
first inquire as to where the equipment is to be used and ask sufficient
questions to be sure that the individual has sufficient experience and
knowledge to windsurf where they plan to sail. We will also have the shops
more aggressively sell and distribute the safety kits that are now out on the
market, which include safety flares, line, whistle and compass.

 Finally, there is a need for regularly scheduled beach safety sessions where
sailors would meet with Coast Guard, SF Fire Department and National Park
Service rescue personnel to train for emergency response and rescue
techniques. This responsibility has already been taken on by Crissy Field
Alliance which organized and held a beach safety session with the Coast Guard
on July 16, 1994.

 The SFBA is soliciting all windsurfers, whether SFBA members or not, to
discuss the threat of unrestricted access to windsurfing at Crissy Field and
what to do about it. They would like everybody's comments on the general
plan discussed above and what you would suggest be added or deleted to this
plan.

 Please address your written responses to the SFBA Mailbox at 1592 Union
Street, Box 301, San Francisco, California 94123. You can also e-mail your
comments to SFBACRISSY@aol.com.-DeleteThis Make your responses concise and to the
point. We will review all written comments so we can arrive at a general
consensus on how to respond to the National Park Service. Your written
comments will also provide us tangible evidence to present to the park
service to demonstrate the importance of this issue.

 Finally, any windsurfers who would be interested in becoming part of a first
ever Crissy Field Volunteer Safety Patrol should express such interest to the
SFBA in writing so we can present this evidence to the park service as well.
 If the SFBA cannot persuade the park service that they have a sufficient
number of windsurfers willing to volunteer for such a safety patrol, this
entire plan may fall apart and the special use permit regulations being
threatened could become a reality. If everyone acts now, perhaps we can
preserve windsurfing at Crissy Field as we know it today!