Re: Board Suggestions

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Jun 25 1994 - 06:10:11 PDT

From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Board Suggestions
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 94 6:10:11 PDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

I agree with both KenP (Tiga257) and JinP(epoxy pin tail).
Both boards have their place.

You want the wide board, 257, for holey days or when you
are learning to get on a plane in wild conditions. It goes
fast because it is easy to control NOT because it is a fast
shape, but who needs 200% efficiency in 25+ knots? It is
VERY wide which gives it problems, but it is soft so it
flexes alot in chop which helps alot in absorbing the
damage to your body....If you are only getting one
high-wind board, I'd go for it or one wide like it. I use
my CFlex which is narrower and more fun, IMHO, but it is
very punishing in chop unless you do alot of turns to
get around the worst stuff. Both boards are wide enough
to slog back in 15 knots with a 5.1 sail at my wt (211#).

For REAL fun, I like the flip-tip, epoxy, pin-tail shape.
They take ALOT of skill which I'm still developing to keep
going in lulls after jibing or other areas where you come
off a plane. I have an ASD 8'8" RKT which sails like an
8'2" (much harder to sail than BIC's Hip-Hop). I've had
alot of fun on this board in 4.1 CFlex wind with a 5.1
Race sail where I motor up and downwind in the gusts with
the board eating chop like a red-hot knife thru butter.
Go on a reach and the shape is scarry fast. I think this
board is alot easier to sail for an 170-180# sailor so it is
worth a try. It handles my 5.6 with no problem if there is
wind solid in the mid20's. I do alot of walking with this
board as I often try to ride it when it isn't windy enough
since it is so much fun and I can't slog it in when the
wind dies. I first sailed it on a nuk'n 3.9 day at Coyote
with the 5' high washing machine mess and I had so much fun
and was in control despite what all those on shore had to
say about sailing an epoxy board in those conditions (gusts
were reported to be 48 knots that day and KenF said many
planes were aborting landings while I was out). This season
I plan to experiment with a larger blade fin and so far it
seems to work easier than with my 11.5" LD fin with a 5.6
race sail.

For skill level, I'm at 80% completion with my CFlex at
Coyote and a bit lower at 3rd and at the GOrge in big swells.
My gues is the RKT really starts to shine when your skill level
reaches 95-99% jibe completion rate (on a sinker where you can't
cheat!).

Kirk out