Re: SFO@1750: 290/22knots T62 150 sct 250 -bkn

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 24 1994 - 21:33:07 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: SFO@1750: 290/22knots  T62 150 sct 250 -bkn
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 21:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

Just got back from Third Ave. It was great. It looked deceptively light
from the shore, with minimal white-capping. But I went from lightly
powered to highly powered on a 5.2 from the time I got on the water at 5:00
p.m. The channel was about four foot swell, mostly disorganized. Lots of
people were out there.

I managed to get a leg cramp on the far side of the San Mateo bridge.
Screaming into the wind in pain with people passing on either side, it
occured to me that it is not real easy to get anyone's attention out there.
Anyone who saw me probably passed me off as someone practicing gestalt
therapy. :)

The wind direction created some weird gaps. From the launch point at 3rd
and about 300 yards further out, I was *way* powered. Then for about an
hour the wind would die for the next 200-300 yards, almost completely.
The channel was more powered up.

I was really glad to have switched from Neil Pryde World Cup sails to
Northwave Race. The Northwaves are prototypical race sails on the high
end, and they take lots of gusts and extreme over-powering. But thank god
these things have a useful low end to them. Unlike the Prydes, you don't
stop planing when the wind comes down a notch for a few minutes. I was
comfortable on a 5.2 in 30 mph wind, and I was at least able to plane in 20 mph
wind.

My observations on wind speed more or less confirm these:

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis