Coyote, 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 23 1994 - 12:44:54 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:44:54 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, alison@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplczu.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, rob_hartman@logitech.COM-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Coyote, 3rd

=========== Sat 18 Jun 94

Luigi and I agreed to meet at Coyote. When we got there at 2:30, the
wind was only about 6.0, so we walked up to ASD. I got my bent
FiberSnap boom replaced (one more '93 to go) and after some other
purchases, we walked back. Still only about 6.0 at 3:00, so I assured
Luigi that this was all we would get and we rigged 6.2's. We went out
about 3:30 and 6.2's were just right. We sailed around from the buoy
to the flat water way inside (just below the point upwind from the beach)
since the wind filled in pretty well all the way. We had some fun
sailing in in close formation - 10-15 feet apart.

About 5:00, we took a run out to the channel markers. The wind was
definately rising; we got pregressively more and more overpowered and
finally gave up about a half a mile away. Due to the northerly wind
direction, we were pointing like crazy to reach the markers and had
a very fast broad reach going back (Luigi faster than me, unfortunately).
The wind continued to build and we sailed way powered for a while and took
a break about 5:45. About 6:00, we went back out but the wind was
dropping fast. We made it back to the beach just barely planing - I'm
sure there was not enough wind to start planing again if we'd lost it.

=========== Wed 22 Jun 94

I got to 3rd about 3:00 and the wind was 5.5 close to the shore. I rigged
5.2/8'5 (Tiga 257) and was dismayed to find that the wind had dropped by
the time I launched. Even worse, SFO was calling 15 knots, SoSF 13!
At 3rd, however, the wind turned out to have just moved offshore a bit.
I was planing a quarter mile off shore and I never lacked for wind the
rest of the afternoon.

Despite the ebb, swell in the channel was quite small at first, and best
by the far wide of the channel. It slowly built as the wind built.
About 5:00 the wind backed off and I was worried that it might die early
(as it did the previous two days). But at 5:15 it came roaring back
and I sailed another half hour waaay powered. The swell came up to
3-4 foot faces, but was never very well organized. It still provided
plenty of steep ramps, and I got a lot of airtime. Between sailing
so powered and so much air, I really felt it last night - an all-over
tired muscle feeling - and it felt great.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air."
                    -- John Gillespie Magee Jr., "High Flight"