Re: Board Suggestions

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 22 1994 - 22:14:52 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 22:14:52 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Board Suggestions

> I'm looking
> for something I can use on those really nuclear days around here, a
> bump-and-jump shape, probably either an 8'4" or 8'6" in the 75-85 liter range
> (sail sizes 3.4-5.0).

For bump and jump, try out the Tiga 257 and the F2 Axxis 255. The Axxis
has been picked several times as the best of the bump and jump category;
the Tiga was Performance Windsurf Report's pick for "best easy-sailing
bump and jump" last year. I tried both (rented in the Gorge last
summer) and didn't like the feel of the Axxis - it felt slow and tricky
to jibe (though other reviewers disagree). I *loved* the Tiga 257 - I
just got on and started jibing better than I ever have before.

I would never have considered a "steenking plastic" board by myself, but
I borrowed one from Walt (my "guru") and discovered the shallowness of
my bigotry. The Tiga is heavier (18 lbs), but in big conditions (esp
Coyote) it really rides smoothly through the chop. Others say that the
extra weight is not a big deal until you want to do tabletops; Walt
loops on his. The Tiga is quite wide for its 86 liters, which has
turned out to be a boon in the Bay because it planes very well for its
size in marginal conditions. It's really quite fast - I can nearly keep
up with most of the people on epoxy slalom boards.

Tigas have a reputation for bomb-proof construction; it's really nice
not to worry about banging it on the rocks when launching in high winds.
And I've broken my share of epoxy boards on the water (fin boxes and
mast tracks), so I'm pleased not to worry about that as I try to figure
out this jumping thing. I sail mine whenever I can get on a 5.2 or
smaller (a lot of days, lately). I've sailed it down to a 4.2 very
happily (I've never sailed that 3.7 I carry).

> Btw- I'm currently an intermediate/advanced slalom sailor, approx. 180-185
> lbs. (depending on my beer consumption), planing jibing, and just starting to
> jump. Aspiring to wave-sail some day. Sail mostly the Peninsula, anywhere
> from Candlestick to 3rd, Sherman, and sometimes, Crissy.

Btw - the above describes me pretty well, too, except substitute ice cream
for beer.

"...3, 2, 1, launch!"