Re: Did anybody sail yesterday?

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 22 1994 - 09:48:56 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 09:48:56 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Did anybody sail yesterday?

> From: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
> I was just wondering what the conditions were like
> because I couldn't go.

> From: Stephen.York@Eng (Stephen York)
> I had fun at Coyote yesterday, it was pretty flat, because the ebb was
> slowing and starting to be a slack tide. Was powered most of the time
> on a 8'6" and a 5.2 meter sail. Great water for jibes. The vicious
> coyote chop was nowhere to be seen.

> From: boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis (Geoff Boehm)
> I (155 lbs) was well powered inside and moderately overpowered outside
> yesterday at 3rd on my 5.0, from 4-6:30.

I got to 3rd at about 5:00pm yesterday, and with all the great reports
of wind, I (225lbs) rigged my 5.7 race and my 9'2" no-nose. It was
immediately obvious that it was dropping off, as I was slogging well
into the channel. I finally got planning midway into the channel, but
was just barely powered.

I went back in, loosened up some down haul to gain more power, but
still was never really powered up much. I could see others who were
planing, but it wasn't happening for me. It was really strange to see
people on small sails 4.0-5.0's, but it just didn't seem that windy to
me.

But then last Sunday, I sailed at Coyote, and most were sailing
5.5-6.0's so I rigged my 6.3/9'2", and sailed out to the channel where
I was very powered. After about an hour, I was getting very
overpowered, so I went in and rigged down to my 5.7. While re-rigging,
I was still seeing 5.5's being rigged and recommended. I went back out
to the channel on the 5.7 and was fully wound up, sailed for another
hour.

Yesterday was good early, but then died down later. By 7:00pm it was DOA.

BTW COTW pager was showing Coyote 17-22 ave 19 at 2:30pm. Waddell has
been blowing the last couple of days. Monday peak average was 25,
yesterday was 21 (That's average, not max).

~Jim
Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466
SunSoft fax: (415) 336-6015