Re: lucky to be alive today

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 17:31:50 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: lucky to be alive today
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 17:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

'Robert Novak says:'
> I was on the far side of the channel and the wind and waves were forcing me to
> the east side of the bridge.
>
> I wasn't sure how far the mud flats were east of my position. Actually I was
> in no position to fight the waves anyway. As it was the waves were capping on
> me. Any attempt swim sideways to the wave would have taken a lot of energy.
>
> I was also thinking about how long I would last in the water. My wetsuit was
> only 2mm. I'm not sure how long I would last before I was too cramped up to
> keep swimming or tread water.
>
> I was lining up one of the power towers behind the bridge with the bridge to
> get an indication of wether or not I was making forward progress or if the tide
> had started to ebb and was pulling me back into the channel. If I was getting
> pulled out I would see no other alternative but to head for the mud flats on
> the east side of the bay.

If there had not been any boat there, was there any way to climb to the top
of the bridge?

Can you describe what the pilings look like/spacing/etc.?

This is just an incredible story. You ought to consider turning this into
an article and submitting it to Windsurfing or maybe one of the West Coast
magazines.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis